6 people, at least
- Olive oil
- 1kg of boneless leg of lamb, cubed
- 3 tbs flour
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 6 large sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 250ml of red wine
- 500ml of The Stock Merchant Chicken Stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One sheet of all butter puff pastry (we use Careme Pastry because it is spectacular)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pan or Dutch oven. Saute the garlic, onion, carrot and celery for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the lamb and flour and toss around for a few minutes to brown the lamb.
- Add the tomato paste, rosemary, wine and stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan and roast in the oven for 2-3 hours, until the lamb is soft and comes apart with a fork.
- Increase the oven temperature to 210 degrees.
- Transfer the filling to an appropriate pie dish, cover with pastry and brush pastry with a beaten egg. Poke holes in the top with a fork to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Bake until the pastry is crisp and golden, about twenty minutes.