- 4 rashers streaky free range bacon, cut or scissored into 2.5cm strips
- 1 teaspoon oil or Pepe Saya butter (Australia’s best cultured butter)
- 150g brown mushrooms, sliced into 5mm pieces
- 300g free range chicken thigh fillets with fat removed, cut into 2.5cm pieces (we love Glenloth Free Range if you can find it)
- 40g flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon butter or Pepe Saya butter
- 500ml hot The Stock Merchant Free Range Chicken Stock
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon Marsala or sherry
- 1 x 375g (23 x 40cm) sheet all-butter ready-rolled puff pastry (we love Careme pastry – find it in your local deli or fine food store)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Fry bacon strips in oil or butter to make them crisp and add mushrooms.
- Coat the chicken in the flour and thyme and add to pan with oil or butter – fry until chicken begins to colour.
- While stirring the mixture, pour in hot stock and Marsala or sherry and create a sauce. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take three 300ml pie-pots or enamel pots and cut a circle larger than the top of lid. If you have slightly larger pots don’t worry, there will just be some space between the mixture and the pastry top.
- Make a pastry rim of about one centimetre at the top each pot. Dampen edges to make the pastry sticky.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the three pots and cover with the pastry circles.
- Seal the pastry rim to the pastry top with fingers or a fork and cook the pies for about 20 minutes.
- Once the tops are puffy and golden brown they are ready. Serve immediately.