With the weather warming up and summer just around the corner, we’re going easy on braises and stews and are cooking lighter fare. Fresh soups, pan seared meat and roasted vegetable, grain, legume or pasta salads are all becoming more predominant on our plates.
But that’s not to say that we’re not using stock! While many people think of stock as an ingredient for winter meals, we use stock wherever delicious, umami flavour is required (which is to say, in almost everything!).
Now that fresh corn has started appearing in farmer’s markets we’ve been snapping them up by the bundle. While the classic chicken and corn soup is feeling a little tired, adding a dash of curry powder and pureeing the mixture changes the entire game and makes this a perfect dinner party entrée.
We like to serve this soup warm with fried scallops (without the roe) or flaked hot smoked ocean trout (if you want a vego version, slow roasted/dehydrated tomatoes are delicious too).
Requirements: a pot, a food processor
Preparation and cooking time: half an hour at the most
4 people. Serve with a crusty white bread or sourdough slathered in Pepe Saya’s cultured butter.
- 6 fresh corn cobs
- 500ml The Stock Merchant Free Range Chicken Stock or The Stock Merchant Free Range Vegetable Stock
- 1 large shallot
- A tiny bit of grated ginger
- 2-3 teaspoons of curry powder (use a medium curry powder)
- 200ml cream (you can use less if you want, or none at all)
- Coriander leaves, roughly diced
- A few knobs of butter (we love Pepe Saya)
- Husk the corn and using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob. This is best done on an angle with the knife moving down across the cob.
- Finely dice the shallot and sweat with ginger in butter
- Add curry powder.
- Throw in the corn kernels and cook on a high heat for five minutes or so, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock and salt, bring to a simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Taste the mixture for salt and curry flavour, add more if you want.
- Remove from heat, let mixture cool for five minutes and then throw into food processor.
- Add cream and puree until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot.
- When ready to serve, reheat and ladle into bowls with scallops or trout or tomatoes and sprinkle coriander leaves on top.