- 500ml The Stock Merchant Free Range Master Stock
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 800g free range, grass fed ox cheeks
- 20ml red shallots, sliced
- 30g Australian garlic cloves, sliced
- 5g Thai shrimp paste
- 10g long red chillies
- 200g fresh rice noodles, cut into 3cm strips
- 40ml tamarind water
- 5g Thai basil leaf
- 10g green shallot
- 30g plain flour
- In a non-stick pan, heat vegetable oil.
- Coat the ox cheeks in plain flour and sear both sides about 1–2 minutes (depends on size).
- Pour pre-heated Master Stock into an oven-proof dish, covering the ox cheeks.
- Braise for roughly 1 hour, turn the cheeks and braise for another hour.
- Remove the ox cheeks from oven and allow to rest. Once cool, slice cheeks to desired thickness.
- Reserve Master Stock.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in a wok and add the shallots, garlic, long red chilies, shrimp paste and salt, stir-frying for a few minutes.
- Add the ox cheek to pan and toss well.
- Add about 40ml of reserved Master Stock followed by tamarind water, rice noodles and basil leaves.
- Stir for a further minute allowing the rice noodles to cook through.
- Plate and serve immediately.
Adapted from a Neil Perry recipe found at www.lifestylefood.com.au