- 500ml The Stock Merchant Free Range Master Stock
- 4 free range or organic whole quail
- 1 litre peanut oil, for deep frying
- 200g soba noodles
- 200g kai lan
- 100g oyster mushrooms
- Pour Master Stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the quail to Master Stock and return to the boil.
- Simmer for 10–15 minutes, turning quail halfway through. (Hint: quail may tend to float, so weigh down with a heavy saucer).
- Once cooked, remove quail from pan and drain completely. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Reduce Master Stock to one cup.
- Half-fill a heavy-based saucepan or wok with oil and heat to very hot (or use a deep fryer).
- Plunge the quail into the oil and deep fry for three to five minutes until they darken to a rich red brown. Or, as a low fat alternative, split the quail and barbecue on each side for 3 minutes.
- Cook soba noodles.
- Stir fry kai lan and oyster mushrooms.
- Place quail, noodles and vegetables on plates. Place reduced Master Stock in serving side dish as dipping sauce.
Adapted from a Lyndey Milan recipe found at: www.goodfood.com.au