This dish is a quick and easy way to experience the remarkable flavour that our Master Stock imparts upon meat. Even though only four ingredients with garnishes are used, you’ll be amazed by the complexity of the end dish – it’s an excellent example of how using Master Stock can so quickly transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. This recipe can be made with either free range chicken or free range duck. If preparing for more people, simply increase the proportion of ingredients as required.
Requirements: Heavy bottomed small saucepan (so the two marylands fit snugly in it), small saucepan or rice cooker, steamer or wok, ovenproof dish.
Preparation and cooking time: 1.5 hours largely unattended, 15 minutes to finish
- 2 free range chicken marylands
- 500ml of The Stock Merchant Free Range Master Stock
- 2 bunches of bok choy or other Asian greens
- 2 finely chopped green onions/coriander/julienned ginger for garnish (only if you have them around – flash fried shallots, cashew nuts or peanuts are also delicious)
- Neutral cooking oil (like grapeseed or peanut oil)
- Place the chicken marylands in small saucepan, pour in Master Stock, ensure marylands are more or less covered.
- Turn heat to high and bring to boil, skim off any impurities that may float to the surface.
- Turn down to a slow simmer (with bubbles just breaking the surface), close the lid, and braise for around 1.5 hours.
- Toward the end of the braising time, cook the rice and set aside.
- When the meat is ready (it will be very tender when touched), carefully remove the marylands from the Master Stock with tongs and place skin side up in an oiled ovenproof baking dish.
- Drain baking dish of any residual liquid and pat the marylands dry.
- Skim fat off the top of the Master Stock and keep pot on a low heat.
- Turn the oven grill on, brush the marylands with oil and place under grill – make sure there is a good distance from the grill to the meat so the skin does not quickly burn.
- Steam or wok fry the Asian greens and prepare the garnishes (if using).
- Grill meat until skin is sizzling and marylands turn a deep rich golden brown.
- Remove meat from oven, place cooked rice in the centre of each serving bowl or plate, with the Asian greens on the side. Place marylands on top of rice and spoon Master Stock liquid on the greens and around the rice. Garnish and serve.