Pork belly. It’s wickedly delicious, delectable and divine. But poach this cut of meat in The Stock Merchant’s Free Range Master Stock and the flavour becomes something quite else again.
As with all of our meat dishes, we only ever recommend using true free range or organic pork. This way you’ll avoid the residual traces of antibiotics or growth hormones that are widely used in conventional pork farming. And of course, the animals will have been treated with dignity and respect during their lives.
We hope you enjoy this rich and delicious meal. It’s another great example of the flavour Master Stock imparts on dishes.
Requirements: large stockpot or saucepan, large frying pan.
Preparation and cooking time: 1.5 hours
- 1 litre The Stock Merchant Free Range Master Stock
- 1 kg free range or organic pork belly
- 20g red shallots, finely sliced
- 30ml rice wine vinegar
- 300g brown sugar
- 10ml fish sauce
- 10ml lime juice
- 20g handful fresh coriander leaves
- 10g long red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 10g black sesame seeds
- Steamed rice or noodles
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat Master Stock and bring to the boil.
- Add pork belly and gently simmer for one hour.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Soak shallots in brown vinegar.
- In a deep-sided frying pan, heat brown sugar over medium heat and stir until caramelised.
- Add one cup Master Stock, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Return to heat until liquid is reduced and thickened.
- Cut cooked pork belly into slices and add to reduced Master Stock mixture.
- Mix together the coriander leaves, shallots and chilli.
- Place slices of caramelised pork on plate, sprinkling sesame seeds and coriander leaves mixture over the top.
- Serve with steamed rice or noodles.
Adapted from a Caroline Velik recipe found at: www.dailylife.com.au