- 1 litre The Stock Merchant Free Range
- Master Stock
- 1 free range whole duck (large)
- 200g water spinach
- 100g mixed Asian mushrooms
- 1 long chilli, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 160g thin egg noodles, blanched and refreshed
- 250ml white vinegar
- 20ml maltose
- Wash duck inside and out under cold running water.
- Loosen skin of the duck by lifting the skin from the flesh around the open cavity, insert the handle of a wooden spoon and move around bird, separating flesh from skin.
- In a large pot, bring Master Stock to the boil over high heat.
- Once boiled, dunk the duck three times into the Master Stock. The skin will expand away from the flesh as it soaks up the stock.
- On the third plunge, allow the duck to remain in the pot covered by the Master Stock.
- Quickly return the Master Stock to a boil and then turn off the heat, leaving the lid on.
- Rest the duck for 1 hour 15 minutes, allowing it to soak up the stock and be infused with flavours.
- Remove duck from stock. Reserve Master Stock for later use.
- To avoid mess, hang duck over the sink while getting ready for next step.
- Place the vinegar and one tablespoon of maltose in wok and bring to boil.
- Using tongs or butcher’s hook, hold the duck over the wok and ladle maltose and vinegar mix over it for one minute.
- Hang the duck in a well-ventilated place for at least one hour to dry.
- Chop the duck in half lengthwise and discard the neck.
- Remove the bones from the duck using your fingers and a knife where necessary. The duck flesh is now ready for the final step of frying.
- Heat 500ml vegetable oil until very hot (about 180 degrees).
- Place the duck pieces on wire rack over the wok.
- Carefully ladle the hot oil over the duck until the skin is crisp and the meat warmed through. Allow to rest for one minute before cutting into bite size pieces.
- Whilst duck is resting, place the water spinach, Asian mushrooms and sliced chilli in a blanching basket and blanch for one minute in already boiling water.
- Add the noodles to the basket and stir all of the ingredients with a chopstick, remove the basket and drain.
- Divide the noodles and water spinach between two serving bowls.
- Place the duck pieces on top of water spinach and egg noodles then ladle reserved Master Stock over top.
Adapted from a Luke Nguyen recipe found at www.lifestylefood.com.au