- 1.2kg free range, grass-fed beef short ribs (choose ribs that have a good meat to fat ratio)
- 1 Litre The Stock Merchant Free Range Master Stock
- 4 bunches bok choy or other Asian greens
- Peanut oil, ginger, Sichuan chilli and garlic for the crispy version
- Julienned spring onions for garnish
- Bowl of steamed Jasmine rice to serve
- Braise the beef short ribs in Master Stock for at least two hours and up to four hours – they are done when completely tender and falling off the bone.
- Take the meat out of the stock and set aside. If the ribs weren’t already cut into individual portions, do so now.
- Reduce the remaining stock by half.
- For the “sticky” version, put the meat back in the reduced stock and reduce the liquid further, coating the ribs with it until very sticky.
- For the “crispy” version heat some peanut oil in a wok, add some ginger, garlic and Sichuan pepper and the meat. Stir-fry ribs quickly until the meat becomes crispy. You can add some of the reduced stock as well.
- Steam greens and rice.
- Serve on a platter by placing ribs on greens, drizzle Master Stock sauce on ribs and garnish with some finely cut spring onions.
- Serve alongside bowl of rice.