Serves 4 people
Comforting for cold nights, yet fresh and light enough to sip on through summer. This is the nifty little recipe you’ll want on hand, year round. Contributed by the incredibly talented duo behind What To Cook, Andrew and Sophie.
For the meatballs
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 birds-eye chilli, diced
- 1cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp coriander stem, diced
- 1 tbsp mint, chopped
- Pinch of salt
For the broth:
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 1L of Master Stock, or Chicken Stock
- 1 tbs of palm sugar, grated
- 1 tsb of fish sauce
- juice of one lemon
- one package of vermicelli noodles
- Add chicken mince to a medium-sized bowl. Add chilli, ginger, garlic, coriander stem, mint & salt and combine with a spoon. Wet your hands (makes it easier to handle chicken mince) – then using a teaspoon-sized portion of mince, roll in to mini balls then set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large heavy based saucepan over low heat and add the lemongrass and celery. Pour in the stock and stir in the grated palm sugar & fish sauce. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high to bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken meatballs to the broth. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the meatballs have cooked through. Discard the lemongrass.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions.
- Serve the chicken meatballs & the broth with the noodles. Garnish with extra mint & coriander leaves and serve with lemon cheeks. Enjoy.Recipe kindly contributed by Andrew and Sophie of What To Cook.