- 1L of The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 200g of white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup of pearl barley
- 1 handful of fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oil in a large heavy based pan. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the onions translucent.
- Add the Mushroom Stock and pearl barley. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with rocket or parsley, with crusty bread slathered in Pepe Saya butter.