Our Mushroom Stock shows off twice in this simple, plant based recipe; as a rich base that mimics the heaviness of beef stock, and also as a means of adding incredible umami creaminess to a mashed potato topping in lieu of butter and milk. In saying that, a little shaved Parmigiano atop the sweet potato is always a great idea for non-vegans.
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of uncooked lentils, rinsed
- 200g of brown mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml of The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (very) large yellow sweet potatoes, steamed
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large heavy based saucepan, heat the olive oil. Saute the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the mushrooms and tomato paste and toss about for another minute or two.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, tomato, 1.5 cups of the Mushroom Stock and bring to the boil. Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and pour the lentil mixture into a casserole or pie dish.
- Mash the sweet potato with the last half cup of the mushroom stock and a splash of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread atop the lentil mushroom mixture and bake in the oven until golden. Serve with a salad.