A rich and flavourful vegan soup based on this recipe featured in the New York Times. Our version cuts the time in half by utilising our umami-rich mushroom stock instead of making your own.
- 1L of The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
- 500g shiitake mushrooms, sliced, stems separated
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 6 large slices of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 350g of organic firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes.
- 1/2 a cup of chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons of chopped chives
- Combine the mushroom broth with two cups of water. Add the shiitake mushroom stems, the head of garlic, salt and ginger slices and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the mushroom stems, garlic, and ginger from the broth. Add the soy sauce.
- Return the liquid to the boil and add the tofu , then reduce heat and simmer for around 30 minutes uncovered. The tofu will puff up a little bit.
- Add in the sliced shiitake mushroom caps and simmer for five more minutes. Add in the fresh herbs and serve.