This rich, cold weather stew is a vegetarian take on the traditional French Boeuf Bourguignon, that’s easily adaptable to be vegan-friendly, too.
- 500ml The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 500g of brown mushrooms, sliced
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups of full bodied red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon works a treat)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- A big spoonful of melted butter (substitute water for a vegan version)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Egg noodles, (or egg-free vegan alternative) to serve
- In a large heavy based saucepan, saute the mushrooms with a pinch of salt for about five minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add a little more olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for about ten minutes, until the onions are have browned and the carrots softened slightly.
- Add the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan and allow the wine to reduce by half. Stir in the tomato paste, stock and the mushrooms. Simmer for twenty minutes.
- Combine the flour and butter (or water) and stir into the stew. Allow to thicken and serve with noodles.