We’ve waxed lyrical about the magical ability of mushroom stock to emulate the richness of beef stock, and this vegan gravy here is no exception. Use a spicy full bodied wine like a Merlot and plenty of pepper.
- 500ml of The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
- 1 1/2 cups of brown button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of Tamari
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan and saute the onion and garlic until the garlic is translucent. Add mushrooms, thyme and rosemary and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the mushrooms brown and begin to release liquid.
- Add the wine, and reduce for one – two minutes. Add the rest of the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for at least 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, tamari and water in a small jug or cup to a flurry. Add to the gravy and stir to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Adapted from this WholeFoods recipe.