This recipe was adapted (ever so slightly) from this brilliant one from Nicky and Max.Use a mix of whatever mushrooms you like. We used a mix of oyster, king brown, shiitake and some regular button mushrooms. Half are blended into a creamy, earthy sauce and half are tossed through the pasta towards the end. Reserve the best looking mushrooms for tossing. If you’re using shiitake, be sure to leave a couple in the sauce to be blended, as their flavour intensifies when cooked.
- 400g of squid ink Tagliatelle
- 3 tbsp of Pepe Saya Butter (Austraia’s best cultured butter)
- 500g of mixed wild Mushrooms
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 250ml of The Stock Merchant Mushroom Stock
- 100ml of heavy cream
- 100g of Parmesan
- Heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, white onion and mushrooms until golden. Set half of the mushrooms aside for later.
- Stir in the flour and toss around to coat. Fry for a few moments and add in the mushroom stock and cream. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer to reduce for about ten minutes. Blend the sauce until smooth. Return to the pan, add the rest of the mushrooms and the spring onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, boil the pasta until al dente. Drain and toss through the mushroom sauce. Serve with the shaved Parmesan and lots of fresh pepper.
Leftover stock? Don’t throw it out.