A steaming hot bowl of comfort if we ever saw one. This flavoursome soup – loaded with nutrients from the extra greens and bone broth – will kick even the most stubborn of colds.
- 500ml The Stock Merchant Chicken Bone Broth or Free Range Chicken Stock
- 2 cups of of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 rib of celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 free-range boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup of loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed kale leaves
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup of toasted pine nuts
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan, and saute the celery, carrot and onion until translucent. Add the garlic and toss around for another two minutes.
- Pour over the broth, bay leaves and the water and cook until vegetables are tender. Bring to the boil. Add the chicken and reduce to very low.
- Simmer for about twenty minutes until the chicken is cooked through and soft. Remove and shred with a fork. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the pesto. Start by pulsing the kale leaves, basil and pine nuts in a food processor, before whizzing in remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with spinach leaves wilted in and spoonfuls of pesto on top.