A light, bright gluten-free version of traditional Mexican fare. These pulled chicken tacos are brilliant served with roast sweet potato as a side.
- 4 large boneless free range chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of ghee, or fat of choice
- 500ml of The Stock Merchant Chicken Bone Broth
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice
- 3 large red tomatoes, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Fresh lime wedges and large large cos lettuce leaves, to serve
- Heat the ghee in a medium saucepan. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, for about five minutes over medium to high heat.
- Remove the thighs and set aside. In the same pan, saute the garlic for about three minutes. Add the spices and toss about the pan for a minute. Add the tomato paste and pour over the bone broth. Bring to the boil.
- Return the chicken to the pan and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and allow to cook very gently for about twenty minutes. Remove the lid and allow the liquid to reduce slightly.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken cooks, make the salsa by combining the chopped tomato, red onion (reserving a quarter of the onion for the guacamole), coriander and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- To made the quacamole, mash the avocado in a bowl with lemon juice and remaining onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You can mix in a bit of coriander in this too, if that floats your boat.
- Serve the chicken in lettuce cups, topped with the salsa and heaped spoonfuls of guacamole.