An ode to all things good-for-you. This soup is gluten-free, and generally paleo-friendly (depending on your stance on Parmesan cheese). With broth based soups, high quality stock is the linchpin. Use our Free-Range Chicken Stock or Chicken Bone Broth for exceptional depth of flavour.
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan, finely grated
- 750g of organic minced chicken
- 1/3 cup of almond meal (use breadcrumbs if gluten isn’t an issue)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or dried thyme
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup of chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
For the soup
- 1L of The Stock Merchant Chicken Stock or Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed and sliced into rounds
- 1 ribbon of celery, finely sliced
- 1 leek, finely sliced into rounds, white part only
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of peas
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan, freshly grated, plus extra to top
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- a handful of basil, torn
- sea salt and black pepper
- Firstly, make the meatballs. Combine the first seven ingredients in a bowl and season well. Roll into 2-3cm balls and bake at 180 degrees until cooked through. Check for doneness at around 15 minutes. As they’re small, it shouldn’t take much longer. Flip halfway through. Set aside.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Sauté the leeks and celery over medium heat for about three minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and carrots and stir about the pan for another minute or so.
- Add the water and the stock and bring the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for around fifteen minutes, until the carrots have softened. Add the peas in five minutes before you turn the heat off, then add the spinach and the other 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top with basil and extra parmesan.
Adapted to be gluten free from this recipe.