This Russian classic is so quick and easy to prepare. Boosted with beefy flavour from our Stock Merchant Beef Stock and added sweetness from the brandy, your guests will be wondering how you jammed so much flavour into this 30 minute meal.
Requirements: large frying pan
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
- 750 g free range, grass-fed fillet steak, cut into 1cm strips
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g button mushrooms
- 80ml brandy
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- grated zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 125ml (½ cup) The Stock Merchant Beef Stock
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cooked pasta or rice to serve
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Toss beef strips in flour and evenly coat.
- Add 1/3 of the beef to pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes, till golden brown. Remove and set aside. Repeat this process with remaining beef.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining oil to pan. Sauté onion and garlic for 7 minutes till soft.
- Add mushrooms and brandy and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pan and add paprika, lemon zest and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute further.
- Add stock and stir to combine. Simmer for 2 minutes, till sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir through sour cream. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with dill.
- Serve on cooked pasta or rice.
Adapted from a recipe found at http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes