Crab and Corn Soup
6 fresh corn cobs
500ml The Stock Merchant Sustainable Crab Stock
A tiny bit of grated ginger
200ml cream (you can use less if you want, or none at all for a really clean flavour)
Coriander leaves, roughly diced
200g Australian picked and cooked crab meat (either Abacus Fisheries’ Shark Bay Blue Swimmer Crabs or Queensland Spanner Crabs)
A few knobs of butter (we love Pepe Saya)
1. Husk the corn and using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob. This is best done on an angle with the knife moving down across the cob.
2. Sweat the ginger in butter
3. Throw in the corn kernels and cook on a high heat for five minutes or so, stirring constantly.
4. Add the stock, bring to a simmer for a couple of minutes.
5. Taste the mixture for salt, add more if you wish.
6. Remove from heat, let mixture cool for five minutes and then throw into food processor.
7. Add cream and puree until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot.
8. When ready to serve, reheat and ladle into bowls
9. Divide crab meat, place in middle of each bowl and sprinkle coriander leaves around.
Serves 4 people as entree, 2 people as main