Master Stock with Crispy Fried Duck
- 1 litre The Stock Merchant Free Range Master Stock
- 1 free range whole duck (large)
- 2 litres vegetable oil
- 300g jasmine rice or noodles
- 300g Asian greens
- You will need a stockpot tight enough to submerge your duck.
- Bring Master Stock to the boil and put the whole duck in breast side down. Put on a lid – this is essential to retain the heat when you turn off the heat source.
- Simmer for 20 minutes then turn off and leave for a further 20 minutes.
- Take the duck out of the pot, allow to cool and pat dry. Strain the stock and keep for later use.
- In a large wok or deep fryer, heat up the oil, ensuring there is enough to cover the duck.
- Cut the duck in half, and if you can, remove the back bone.
- Carefully place duck in hot oil breast side down and cook for 3–4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Turn once during frying.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels.
- Use a meat cleaver to chop the duck into smaller pieces.
- Reduce 2 cups of Master Stock by half.
- Place crispy duck on top of steamed jasmine rice or noodles and Asian greens.
- Pour reduced sauce over the duck pieces and accompaniments.